Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Buffalo Burgers?

I went to my new favorite grocery store on Sunday, Ellwood-Thompson's. They have a nice but very small meat department. I had originally planned to buy ground turkey or chicken. They had neither so I decided to try some ground buffalo. I had also bought some goat cheese that was supposed to go with some frozen ravioli. I had the idea to make stuffed buffalo burgers on the way home last night. They turned out quite nicely. Since I hadn't bought any buns, we used pita bread for our sandwich holders. I also had some caramelized onions left over from the previous night's meal (homemade pizza). I heated up the onions with some balsamic vinegar. I also had some hummus on hand. So, our sandwiches had the following in them: buffalo burger stuffed with goat cheese, caramelized onions with balsamic vinegar and hummus. They turned out really good.

The next thing I'm going to try to make is bison bolognese. In Northern VA, one of our favorite restaurants (Vermilion) had this dish. I need to figure out how to make it now that we're no longer in Alexandria.

No comments: