Friday, July 04, 2008

Prenatal Yoga

In my previous Yoga Update, I mentioned that I was going to try out a class at Ashtanga Richmond. Well, I really liked that class. The two classes are very different from one another.

The one that I attended originally (was located at Yoga Source but is now in a different location) uses a lot of props. We each have 2 blankets, a bolster, 2 blocks and sometimes a strap. For several of the poses, we have to get everything in place before we can do the pose. This class is run by a company called OmMama. They are in the process of opening a standalone prenatal/postpartum fitness and education center in the fall that will be near my house. I'll be able to take Peanut to the Itsy Bitsy Yoga classes. Check out this book.

The new one at Ashtanga Richmond uses only the yoga mat. It's quite different. We don't do the full Ashtanga series but we definitely are doing modified poses. She has us squatting and staying in that position for what seems like an eternity (and other poses that are not easy but will help us to stay strong throughout pregnancy).

In the end, I like each of them for different reasons. The OmMama class although easier still gives me a workout and makes me feel good after. We all go around the room at the beginning of class and give an update on how far along we are and any issues we're having (i.e. swelling, backaches, etc). The instructor usually tailors the class to those issues to help us understand things we can do at home to help alleviate them. For the Ashtanga class, I like that it's more of a workout. I feel like I'm strengthening myself. That will be good for the labor part as well as getting back in shape afterwards.

No comments: